Wednesday 5 April 2017

Koonoo's Hair

     On the very first day at Sam Pudlat, a student walked into class named, Koonoo. She had the longest hair that I'd ever seen. When I said so, the students got really excited, and for some reason, suggested that Heidi and I write a story about her hair. They didn't know that I loved to draw and write at that time, but it was an idea that stuck with me. I began writing and illustrating a story during my time here for the kids, about and for them. The picture I took is of the real-life Koonoo. I used it to create the cover page of the book. I have since laminated and bound the book, and will take one copy with me and leave the rest for the students at Sam Pudlat. I can't wait to share it with them tomorrow! I'll be sure to post pictures of the reading and of my last day, tomorrow.

     Also, I saw a once in a lifetime event yesterday, but was hesitant to post the pictures. A member of the community shot his first polar bear yesterday. This is a huge accomplishment in the Inuit community. The bear is used for food, for clothing, and for many other things. I did not post the pictures because I know that some people may not understand or agree with what they see, and the photos are graphic. Personally, I respect what they do as a culture here, and felt very privileged to have seen what I did. If you're curious about those photos, ask me and I'd be happy to show you the old fashion, non-social-media version.


KOONOO’S
HAIR

Written and Illustrated by Angela M. Hosking

No comments:

Post a Comment