Tuesday 4 April 2017

Playing Imaq Siku with the Students and an Afternoon with Annie Manning Lampron


     My class taught me a new game today! It's called Imaq Siku, and sounds like "ee-mac see-koo". A boy in my class, Jacob, wrote it in syllabics for me, as well. In English, it means "water and ice". The way you play is this: The students stand in a straight line and one area is designated as imaq, and the other area is designated as siku. Our classroom has a perimeter of blue tiles, and the area in the center is white. We used the blue parts as imaq and the white parts as siku. When the teacher says, "imaq" the students all jump together onto the imaq a tiles, and when the teacher says "siku", the students all jump to the siku tiles. You say it quickly, almost like "red light, green light" so that the students get confused about which way to jump. The game is a process of elimination, so as students mis-jump, the are out. The winner is the one who is last standing. 
     After a great at school, I had the privilege of visiting Annie Manning Lapron, a local artist. Annie is very humble, and her husband Pierre was quick to fill us in on all of her accomplishments, because she would never brag about herself. She has received many awards and much recognition, and is well known for her doll making skills. She is known in the Cape Dorset community for her skills at making mittens and kamiks. She also does many other artistic projects that involve beautiful and intricate bead-work and sewing. Annie also makes the best bannock (at least I and many others think so!). I took an immediate liking to Annie and her humor, and hope that if I work in Cape Dorset, I will be able to get to know her much better.



















No comments:

Post a Comment