Sunday 19 March 2017

An Invitation to the Youth Centre

               





  The blizzard continued today, but we got word that something was happening up at the Youth Centre. Alexa and Patrick, founders of the Embassy of Imagination, had come to visit for a few days to begin planning for their summer project. They had several children, of all ages, come up to the Centre to create artworks which would be used to construct a larger mural. Something really cool about Alexa and Patrick: while they are both artists and do have their own projects and exhibits, the work they do in Cape Dorset is solely for the kids here, for them to be able to show-case their work. Their efforts allow the kids to take pride in what they do, give the kids a focus and output while exploring their many artistic talents for the rest of the nation to admire. Typically, the completed artworks are displayed in a prestigious art centre in Ottawa, or other cities in the country. The kids I spoke with said they thought it was really funny to see their art handled with such care, by the curator wearing gloves.





     The project the kids were working on today was twinning art. A simple concept with a really cool outcome: take a piece of paper, fold it in half and open it but only draw on half of the paper, then fold it over to trace the same picture on the other side (now the back side), and once again, retrace on the front and opposing side, the same picture. The photo above is of the picture I drew (Im not able to display any of the kids art because it will be part of the larger project, and would be a violation of their privacy), with some help from the kids. I felt like I really bonded with two of them, M and D. They told me a lot about their experience growing up in Cape Dorset, and that it was a very special place because of the ability to make a career in the arts, here. They told me about their families, and how they are related to other prominent artists from the area. One liked to rap and make up his own rap songs, and the other had big, amazing eyes, that belied his impish nature (he chased me around in sock feet, trying to give me static shocks!). The two helped me with the drawing by describing to me, the animals that I wanted to include in my picture because I had never seen them in real life before, and they had. I not only had a wonderful afternoon and evening, but I felt I made some meaningful connections with the kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment