Wednesday 29 March 2017

Literacy Night and a Special Birthday in the North

     The day began with an assembly in the gym, as is routine for Wednesday. Important dates that are coming up are given to the students, issues that have arisen in the school or community are talked about, awards are given to deserving students, and birthdays are announced. Well, it was my birthday, today! I was called to the front with other students whose birthdays were in March, and the rest of the school sang "Happy Birthday". I felt very welcomed, and it was hilariously entertaining. We all had a great school day together, and a special treat was brought in: kuanniq (sounds like, goo-awn-aee), which is edible seaweed, fresh from the ocean! The kids were eager to see me try it, and I was very game. I realized that I had it before in soups, and I loved the salty, slimy, crunchy taste and texture. The kids enjoyed some, as well. At the end of the day, some lovely teachers named Ave and Tate had organized a literacy night at the school, An elder, named Hopey (please excuse the spelling), came in to read stories and sing songs in Inuktitut. She had brought a drum with her but told us that this kind of drum was traditionally used in western regions of Nunavut, but not Cape Dorset (they traditionally used a different kind of drum). Hopey had gone to Iqaluit to become trained in the type of drumming you see in the pictures. She was a very interesting woman, and you could see the admiration in the kids' eyes as they listened to her.

(Literacy Night Activity Centers)

(Hopey, playing the drum. She even got me u there drumming and dancing!)


(The kids looking on, as I eat kuanniq for the first time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment