Thursday 23 March 2017

Inuit Games in the Classroom



     We had such a productive AND fun day, today! In the morning, we had our usual routine of story time (read-aloud), breakfast and independent reading, stretching, and I gave the students a spelling test on homophones (which, they did really well with). They had communications and technology time with another teacher, Scott, after recess, then we worked on perimeter and area for math. We introduced new spelling words (antonyms and synonyms), had Inuktitut studies, did another read-aloud (this time, I did the read-aloud, which went wonderfully) and did centers (small groups of students have 12 minutes at each of 5 stations). I ran one of the centers, which focused on listening and communication skills. I simply brought some photo albums in from my home, in Halifax. We chatted about the pictures (most were of family, friends, and activities I had enjoyed at home), and it gave the children a chance to get to know me better, while I asked them questions about how they connect with the pictures (for example, had they experienced something similar?, do they go camping and what did they enjoy about it?, what had they built or made that they were most proud of? etc.). It was phenomenal; I felt like the kids were completely engaged in our conversation, and that we both learned new things about each other, as well, I was able to introduce new vocabulary throughout our conversation which I later overheard the kids using (success in teaching, yahoo!!). 

                                     





     Next week, I will use the same photos, but will have them do a written response with me. Besides having a stellar day, we ended it by playing some Inuit games. The kids absolutely LOVED showing me how they play.


     This game is played by having to people sit back to back. They have to use their legs to push their back against their opponent to force them forward, outside of the circle.




     This game is played by pushing your hand against your opponent's should. Your other hand goes under, and you link index fingers with your opponent. You then pull your linked fingers towards you, until your opponent "gives".



     This game is played by bending forward and putting your head under the arm of your opponent. You then push forward, to try to force your opponent out of the circle.




     This game was my favorite. You lie flat on your back, shoulder to hip with your opponent. You lift you legs up in the air, count 1, 2, 3 (when each number is said, you swing your leg up, then down), and then go! You swing your leg up, hook it around your partner's, and pull back down so that your opponent is forced to flip over.

No comments:

Post a Comment